SPICE is building an investment platform to help democratize community energy and allow all people to share in a just energy transition. Because SPICE is committed to the Co-operative Principles, including “Concern for Community”, the Board of Directors unanimously passed a motion in 2020 to commit to two key actions:
- That SPICE recognize the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Calls to Action. In particular, we must recognize the 92nd Call to Action in our business development.
- That SPICE join the cooperative movement pledge to Sustainable Development Goals.
Initially we will implement these commitments by:
- Asking all board members to educate themselves by watching videos on both the TRC and SDGs.
- Initiating education and developing relationships as we learn.
- Assigning a Board Member to have our SDG Co-op Pledge approved and posted online within two years.
Business and Reconciliation
- We call upon the corporate sector in Canada to adopt the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as a reconciliation framework and to apply its principles, norms, and standards to corporate policy and core operational activities involving Indigenous peoples, their lands and resources. This would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Commit to meaningful consultation, building respectful relationships, and obtaining the free, prior, and informed consent of Indigenous peoples before proceeding with economic development projects.
- Ensure that Aboriginal peoples have equitable access to jobs, training, and education opportunities in the corporate sector, and that Aboriginal communities gain long-term sustainable benefits from economic development projects.
- Provide education for management and staff on the history of Aboriginal peoples, including the history and legacy of residential schools, the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Treaties and Aboriginal rights, Indigenous law, and Aboriginal–Crown relations. This will require skills based training in intercultural competency, conflict resolution, human rights, and anti-racism.
If you have advice for SPICE after reading the following please contact rocky@joinSPICE.ca. Raquel Feroe is the Board contact for SPICE commitments to Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action and Sustainable Development Goal commitments.